So I finished physical therapy in May and I was on the mend. I felt good as long as I wore my sneakers with my arch supports. I started back to running a little bit. I couldn't go far, but I was up to running a couple of miles- with some walk breaks. Things in our house were really chaotic at that point, so I didn't get much chance to run. I'd started working 4 9 hour days a week instead of 3 8 hour days, we'd put our house on the market and we were looking for a new house. It was pretty crazy.
Thankfully our house sold after only 23 days on the market and a week after our house went under contract we went to the beach for a week. I did alright at the beach. I ran a couple of days and went golfing one day. My foot still ached a bit, but it wasn't bad. I still thought I'd be okay.
After we got back from the beach I went back to wearing shoes other than my sneakers. I should have listened to my doctor and stuck with sneakers and stayed away from flip flops, but who wants to wear sneakers when it's 90 degrees outside? Certainly not me! That didn't help my foot at all, although I did go through a period where my flip flops were my most comfortable shoes.
At the end of July we moved in with Ben's parents for 6 weeks while we were between houses. It was while we were there that I really started to accept that my foot was not really getting better and that I was going to end up having to have surgery on it. I still ran occasionally, and my foot didn't hurt while I ran, but I paid for it afterward.
I started to think about surgery, but I couldn't decide when to do it. We moved into our new house Labor Day weekend and then the next two weekends we were at weddings. Then I had a good friend who told me she wanted to come visit from California toward the end of October. I kind of came to the conclusion that I would get surgery after she came and I would be off of crutches by Thanksgiving. Then Bethany told me a few weeks ago that she was going to delay her trip by at least a few weeks, so I decided to go ahead and make a doctor's appointment and get surgery scheduled.
I went in on a Monday for my appointment and learned the details of the recovery- and the surgery- but the recovery was what I was concerned about. At least 4 weeks on crutches, at least 6 weeks of no driving and about 8 total weeks in the boot. Ugh. I had known about the crutches and the boot before that appointment, but I didn't know about the no driving thing. That part was/is going to suck. But I went ahead and scheduled surgery. They could have gotten me in that Thursday, but since Ben was out of town until Wednesday night I decided to wait a week. I scheduled surgery for Thursday September 29th.
No comments:
Post a Comment