My appointment today with Dr. K went well. He said my foot looks good and my movement is good for almost 4 weeks post op. He's happy with my progress. I'm supposed to continue on with physical therapy (obviously, since I've only been once), wean myself off of the crutches and when I feel like my tendon is strong enough- and my PT agrees- I can stop sleeping in the boot. As for weaning off of the crutches, he means I need to start with walking with both feet and the crutches so that some weight is still on my hands, but I also have some on my foot. Then just keep increasing the weight I put on my foot, just making sure that it doesn't hurt. The concern is really getting back on it too early and injuring the tendon that he reconnected. That would not be fun, so I'm going to do my best to really be careful about weaning.
So all in all a good visit and I go back in two weeks. I will not be going back on crutches. :)
And now the fun stuff! Dr K has before and after x-rays of my foot from the day of surgery. He's shown them to me a couple of times, but today I asked if I could take pictures of them. He was happy to let me. Taking that bone out definitely made a significant difference in my foot. For some reason his x-rays were printed backwards so it looks like this should be from my left foot, but I promise you, it's from my right. Check it out:
Before
He's pointing to the bone he's going to remove.
Now it's gone-
and he shaved down the bone next to it to get rid of the big bump I had on the side of my foot.
And before and after next to each other.
I'm sorry it's upside down, I can't get it to flip over and stay that way.
Pretty big difference, huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment