I went to see my orthopedist on Monday for another follow up appointment. He looked at my foot, watched me walk and watched me walk on my tip-toes (who knew I could do that again?!). Then he told me everything looked good, I'm ahead of the curve and he doesn't need to see me anymore. :) He told me to take it easy over the next month- start with some biking and maybe elliptical, but by the new year I should be about ready to start running! And this was all the day before I hit 2 months post op! For now I'm still going to physical therapy twice a week because my therapist is not ready to release me, but I'm fine with that.
As for physical therapy, it's going really well. He started on Monday having me do most of my exercises without my brace. My ankle is definitely getting stronger, but still has some strengthening that needs to happen. My therapist did tell me yesterday, though, that I can start weaning out of my brace. He said to start with taking it off for 20-30 minutes at a time and then putting it back on for a couple of hours- and to keep increasing my time out of it until I'm out of it all day. He thinks the weaning should take about 2 weeks. I can definitely tell when I've had it off for too long, so I think I really will wean out of the brace slowly, unlike how I weaned off the crutches and out of the boot. :)
Weaning is really good news- especially since Ben and I are going out to a nice dinner and spending Friday night at a bed and breakfast. I'm excited to be able to wear real shoes (well, boots, in this case) Friday night and not be in my sneakers. YAY!
No comments:
Post a Comment